Monday, July 7, 2008

How Does Gluttony Begin?

From "The Diet Alternative" by Diane Hampton

To understand the solution, we need to have some understanding of how gluttony begins in a life, how it becomes a stronghold. We have a number of scriptural examples of Jesus feeding our physical bodies. There was always a consistent order. First, spirits were fed and then bodies were fed. First, He taught and ministered to the spirit, then He multiplied the loaves and fishes to feed the body... [see Matthew 14:17-20.]

Gluttony begins when this system gets out of order.
A person feels frustrated, bored, angry, or lonely, but rather than dealing with the spiritual problem, they eat. These are the "deceitful meats" spoken of in Proverbs 23:2. It is food eaten for the wrong reason--to avoid dealing with the deeper problem.


I am reading this book now for the second time. It is so good. Not at making me feel better (I often find myself saying "ouch!") but at helping me get better (getting free!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! This sounds like a wonderful, thought-provoking, points towards God book! Just two paragraphs say so much! You've convinced me to read it too (after I finish Love to Eat, Hate to Eat:)

Eric Guel said...

Great points.