Sunday, May 18, 2008

Carrot Spice Muffins

I made these this afternoon. They were delicious with a glass of milk. I think I will add 1/2 T molasses next time... Enjoy!

(Photo by Bird)

From Whole Foods for the Whole Family; La Leche League Cookbook.

1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. each ginger and allspice
1/3 C honey (I used fructose and in the future I will prob. add about 2 T more liquid to compensate. The recipe said I could sub sugar for honey but didn’t say to add more liquid…I think the batter should have been a bit more wet.)
1 egg
1/2 C sour milk (1/2 T vinegar or lemon juice and the rest milk)
1/3 C oil
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 C grated carrots (about 2 large)
1/2 C raisins
1/2 C chopped pecans

Combine dry ingredients and spices in large bowl. Mix fructose or honey, egg, milk, oil, vanilla, carrots, raisins and pecans in medium bowl. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Fill greased or lined baking cups 2/3 C full. Bake 400 deg. 15 minutes (check after 10 min.) They say this makes 18, but I divided it among 12.

FYI, each has 137 cals, 2 g protein, 18g carbs, 2g fiber, and 7g fat

No comments: