Friday, May 23, 2008

Love to Eat/Hate to Eat Book Discussion: Chapter 2, Question 1

(If you are taking part in the 21-day Habit Challenge, be sure to read the previous post...)

Chapter 2: The Change God Desires


What does 2Timothy 3:16-17 teach about the purpose and power of the Bible? Is this the way that you have thought about scripture?

One thing that just struck me is in verse 17 it says that the man of God may be complete. When His word is not in my heart, mind and determining my actions, I am incomplete.

So, back to the question :-) It says that scripture is profitable for correction an instruction in righteousness (among other things. I'd just like to address these.)

Correction--I can go to scripture to see if I have strayed. Scripture is my standard. Not what others say, not what I feel, not what I see.

Instruction in righteousness--I can go to scripture to see how to live. I want to be righteous because that leads to intimacy with the love of my life: Jesus.

Yes, I would have to say that this is how I now see scripture for the most part. Of course, the fruit in my daily life is what I must go by. And I know how easy it is for me to slip into old patterns of measuring my success based on how I feel, comparing myself to others or, in the case of eating issues, what the scales say.

Okay, now it's your turn...discuss!


3 comments:

Charlotte Cushman said...

Well 2 Tim 3:16 - 17 says that all Scripture is inspired by God. That means it is not men's words.. it is authored by the infinite One who made and breathed His life into everything.

It also says that it is profitable for teaching, for reproof, for training in righteousness... which means that in order to teach, train and reprove in regard to righteousness.. you must use the scripture. There is not biblical means to do that apart from scripture.

Then it says that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work. So God wants us to be prepared for something. He has plans for us... if we do not submit to teaching and training and reproving in righteousness, we will not be prepared for the work that He has for us to do.

This is how I am beginning to think of Scripture. It has been a process that has been going on for years, but this year it has really begun to crystallize for me.

Anonymous said...

The purpose of scripture is to teach, correct, train and lead us to Christ. Through the power of scripture we are made competent and equipped for every good work (see ESV). In other words we are able to move mountains. :)

Yes, this is how I think (and what I believe is true) about scripture.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that doesn't sound quite right...the Holy Spirit empowers us to do good works, and move mountains, etc....the Word of God helps us to know the will of God.