Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Saved Through Childbearing?

Nevertheless she will be saved in childbearing if they continue in faith, love, and holiness, with self-control. I Timothy 2:15


This is one of those verses that I have always read and accepted the fact that I would never understand it. I don't disagree with any of God's word. If it doesn't make sense, I just assume it's because I'm human and therefore flawed. :-)

When I came to this one in my daily Bible reading today, I decided to look at the study notes in my Bible...muttering to myself, "I wonder what you have to say about this one! I was pleasantly surprised! I really like their explanation in Nelson's NKJV Study Bible:

The salvation referred to here is not justification, but daily sanctification. Most likely, Paul is referring to being delivered from the desire to dominate by recognizing one's appropriate place in God's creation order.


As a woman who, in the flesh, can have a tendency to want to dominate AND who has had the privilege of bearing 3 children, I can totally relate to this interpretation!

As a woman, childbearing forces me to recognize my dependence on my husband...Sure, many woman "do it on their own," whether they choose to or are forced to. But for me, the womanly role of bearing and nurturing life does serve as a reminder that I am the "weaker vessel" and that I am not created to dominate. I need my strong, brave, secure, godly husband to lead, guide and protect me and our children and I am so thankful that he does just that by the grace of God.

...if they continue in faith, love, and holiness, with self-control.


In childbearing, I learn faith every day by choosing to believe that God can save, sanctify and protect my children. I daily learn love by choosing to die to myself daily (hourly?) and love them in countless ways. I daily learn holiness by choosing to submit to the Lord's way (kindness, mercy, peace and diligence) instead of my ways (selfishness, resentment, chaos and laziness). And all of these are exercises in self-control!

Boy, I truly believe God uses my children in my daily sanctification more than any other tool in His hand. I am so grateful to Him. His ways are so good!

The ways of the Lord are right. The righteous walk in them, but transgressors stumble in them. Hosea 14:9

No comments: